Monday, October 18, 2010

Today, I became an investor


I stumbled on the non-profit organization KIVA about a month ago when killing some time online. I found KIVA to be such a inspirational non-profit that I signed up immediately. This organization lends money to people in third world countries with help from "normal" citizens all over the world. So it is basically a "to the people from the people" philosophy :)

The minimum loan is $25 (20€) and you can choose who to loan to and after x months the loan will be paid back by the person you loaned it to. I wanted to focus on women in Africa and I chose a women called Jacinta Mugore Mwangi living in Ngong, Kenya. She needed to loan $700 to expand her retail business and especially increase her stock of cereals since they are very much in demand and gives her a huge profit margin. Within less that a day, 20 lenders from all over the world, lended her app. $25 each and viola she will be able to get the loan through the field partner Kadet in Kenya. She has now 14 months to pay back the loan and I believe in her as she has successfully paid back two previous loans.
Here us Jacinta in her store.

I will excitedly follow Jacinta and see how she develops and as soon as I have a job myself I will invest 20€ in someone else who needs it more than me.

You can check out KIVA here www.kiva.org and maybe find someone you want to help.

"To the people from the people"

No comments:

Post a Comment