Wednesday, April 21, 2010

mondern Medellin, Colombia

The nightbus to Medellin went smooth with somewhat plenty of sleep. I had prepared the tbus rip with plenty of warm cloths but for sure it wasnt enough as the driver turned the heat down to north pole cold...brrrrr.... Why on earth do they do that?

I had arranged a couch to sleep on in Medellin through CouchSurfin.org before I arrived and I can proudly say that I am not a CouchSurfing virgin anymore! CouchSurfing is a website for people that want to meet local people and sleep on their couches and vice versa: locals offer couches to travellers from all over the world. I have known about the website for years but it wasnt until 2 months ago I actually created an account. After staying in tons of hostels throughout Central America, I decided that I had to do something different in Colombia, so my aim is to CouchSurf all of Colombia for 1 month (at least). I hope to meet loads of locals, who can show me the secrets of the city only the locals know about.

So far I have had a very good experience. At the moment I am CouchSurfing with a women called Silvia in Medellin, who is taking good care of me and showing me what to do in town. A very nice and friendly girl indeed and I get to know so much about Colombia and the people here (paisas) that I wouldnt have had a clue about staying in a hostel. I am also thankful she took me on board even though I had no references on my profile (you know I could have been a lunatic psycotic person)..hehehe. So Thanks!

Medellin, there are so many things to see and do here. I am very impressed by the city and its good infrastructure. I am especially surprised by the metro cable cars the city has build over the favela slum areas so the poor people will have a chance to work downtown and be part of the city. It only costs 80cents to take the metro cable cars and the metro all over the city and it is fast, clean, and impressive. I went up and down the cable cars myself as I really enjoyed the ride (I could do this all day by the way :) and the views are just amazing!

Another big thing in Medellin is paragliding! They take you up the mountains and then you swoosh of the mountain gliding and sailing in the air over Medellin. Paragliding has been on my TO DO LIST for so long that I dont think I can resist the offer!! and for 40 bucks, who can say no to that!

Tomorrow, I have a picnic date with my Dutch girlfriend Dorien that I meet back in January in Honduras. It is so cool we are in the same town again!

No comments:

Post a Comment