Friday, March 9, 2012

Next stop Zambia!

Muli banji (Good day in Chichewa),

My five weeks house sitting in Nkhata-Bay has come to an end. Time has passed so fast and I have enjoyed my shanti shanti time at the house. There was a lot of sitting watching the beautiful lake, some sunbathing, lots of reading, and lots of thinking what to do next. Unfortunately, some bad things happened as well... I lost one of the two chickens... luckily it was the one that does not lay any eggs. :) The dog also got into an accident, just yesterday when we were out for our daily walks. The dog is scared of moving cars and motorbikes so when they pass she attacks them barking and jumping. As she is on a leach I have to hold on to her strongly or she attacks. The car was coming fast towards us on the street and as usual she started to run and jump and bark but this time the car was coming closer to us than I anticipated and it was going really fast and the dog got hit in the front. The irony was that it was the ambulance going to the hospital but this driver is insane and always drives too fast (even though there are no patients in the car) and as we are in Malawi, people do not care about dogs so of course the ambulance did not stop, it just continued. Well ,the dog was bleeding and I could see immediately that her back leg was broken. So after a lot of hassle and quite some time, me and some friends managed to get to the veterinarian in Mzuzu, 1 h hour. The dog got surgery, antibiotics and is now recovering by licking her wounds. But it was a nasty wound, open cut and the Malawian vet was eager to show me the whole cut, the wound and wanted me to be in the surgery but I had to get out as just looking at the wound made me feel a bit nauseous. So it was a long night. I just feel really bad that it had to happen just three days before I am leaving... and of course I am sad for the dog. ...poor Yara. So today the house owners are coming back and I have already told them about the accident. However, I am happy they are back as the dog has to be injected with antibiotics once a day and I would not be able to put any needles in any dog or human for that matter. I think they are more experienced than I am.

So on Sunday I am taking off to Lilongwe, the capital, with the early 6am morning bus. It's a days journey down to Lilongwe so I will sleep there one night and then it is bye bye Malawi and welcome to Zambia on Monday. I have only 10 days in Zambia before flying home from Lusaka. But I do not plan to do much, I want to go on a safari, go and see Victoria falls and then spend my last days in Lusaka buying some beautiful African fabrics. I have yet to decided about the safari but I have heard the best place to go and see animals is at the South Luangwa Park... so I will head for that... the park is also on the way to Lusaka so no long detours.

Alright I am off to town to sort out my last things before packing my bags.

Tawonga akonga Nkhata-Bay and Malawi. It's been a pleasure. Thank you for the batafish and the beautiful beautiful lake!

Yewu!

No comments:

Post a Comment