Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Happy 4th July in D.C.

I have now officially celebrated (for the first time in my life) America's Independence day, 4th of July in the US of A :)

Me and my DC friends Margo and Dean went downtown to the Mall early on to attend one of the many demonstrations. I had conveniently chosen to take part of the Legalize weed rally :) I have never attended any demonstrations in my life and I thought this was a good one to start with. It was quite a small one but it was fun! The protesters met up at Lafayette Park and walked down to Lincoln Memorial where a reggae concert awaited us in the park. In the rally I also bumped into a lot of other Couchsurfers as DC had their annual Couch Crash all weekend.


We had a great time in the sun, dancing reggae and enjoying the breeze and the people. Later on in the evening we met up with even more CSers, had a picnic in the park and watched the fireworks from the Mall. Beautiful! Afterwards we ended up going to a house party that was part of the Couch Crash and wow there was tons of people from all around the world and $1 beers to buy :) As we had to catch the last metro at midnight we didn't stay for too long but that was all good as our legs felt like spaghetti after cruising around all day. We had such a great day!

Today, is my last day in D.C and sort of my last day on my backpacking trip. I am ending where I started; 7 months ago I flew into D.C in the cold cold winter and now I am leaving in the hot hot sun. But it is not all over just yet. I still have 5 more days of vacationing in London before I head home to Finland for the rest of the summer.

I have had a great last week here in DC with my friend Margo, which I met 5 years ago on another backpacking trip in Brasil. It is amazing the people you meet while backpacking and more amazing that we still keep in touch and visit one another now and then. :) So thanks Margo for letting me crash at your place and I had a good time! There has been a lot of BBQs and drinks, and not to forget our Entourage marathon. :) I hope to see you in Finland soon!

I better go and pack the backpack for almost the last time and see you over there in London!

Hasta Luego amigos!

No comments:

Post a Comment