Sunday, November 13, 2011

Volunteering as a painter

This week I finished my volunteering project of painting at Chicale Primary School. The school has got two new classrooms and me and two other American girls started off by painting the walls white in on of the classrooms that still needs to get a proper floor. The floor will be made when the school will get some more money through donations so who knows when that will be...but hopefully soon because it is a very nice, big, and cool classroom.

After we finished painting the walls I started working on the other classroom that is already in use. I made a sketch for the blackboard wall and talked to the grade 2 4 teachers, who is using the classroom, what they would like to have. They mentioned ABCs, numbers, weekdays, months, and pictures. I had never made any drawings on any walls before so I was a bit hesitant to make any promises that there would be amazing drawings of cows and humans etc but I did promise them I will make something colorful :)

I was only able to go and paint from 15.00 in the afternoon until about 18.00 when it got dark so it took me some time to finish it. (But hey everything here is on Malawi time which means things move slow). So for the coming two weeks I was working on my drawing. There was always some kids popping in or hanging in the windows looking at what was going on. Sometimes I had to shoooo them off as they started to run around and shout in the classroom and I was afraid all paint would spill and that I would loose my peaceful 'mojo' :) Anyhow, this is the outcome of the past two weeks and tomorrow Monday I will try to see how it is to volunteer as the teacher's assistant. I am really curious if it will drain me or energize me??

Painted the walls in the first classroom that is yet to get a proper floor.
Spotless!
A steady hand is needed and some patience.
Don't ask me why I chose 12.20...
Final result :)

No comments:

Post a Comment