Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Daily life in Malawi

I walk down the street in Malawi and the kids love me, shouting "muzungu, musungu" (which means white person) at the top of their lungs. Then they say "what's my name?" and I say "well I don't know, what is your name?" looking confused... how would I know their name?? Well, what they wanted to say is what is YOUR name. So then I try to teach them to say "your" instead of "my" but it never works as I pass them again one hour later and they shout at me "What's my name, what's my name??"

Another very popular thing to shout to the muzungus is "Give me money"! Then I usually say, "Money??. your name is money? well my name is Anette" and the kids just look confused and run away.

Besides "give me money" the kids also say "give me pen", "give me sweety", "give me... give me.. whatever they come up with. I have no idea who thought them this Give me stuff... but it is for sure not working.

It is not only the kids that say random things. The adult can also blurt out stuff. Like the other day I walked to town and this guy saw me from far away and he shouted "Madame, madame!" and I was thinking this guy is in pain or something, needs to go to the hospital as he is running towards you looking like he needs to say something important. He came up to me and said "Madame, I want to get to know you" and I am like "What?, are you ok?", "I want to get to know you. We need to talk." And I am like "We need to talk?", "Yes, I want to be your friend. Can I have your number?". Then I get the picture and I am like "Dude, I don't have a mobile and no you can not get my number and no I won't marry you, good bye" shaking my head and continue my walk.

Ah, the daily struggles in Malawi :)

No comments:

Post a Comment