Thursday, December 8, 2011

Everyday life in Nkhata-Bay pictures

I have taken a lot of pictures here in Malawi but not been able to upload them onto my picasa album as the internet is just too slow. However, here are some I have hand-picked from my every day life in Nkhata-Bay. 

This is Chikale primary school, where I volunteer as an English teacher for grade 7. There are 70 kids in the 7th grade but divided up to 7A and B. So I only have 35 in each class, which in enough :) All in all there are 720 students and 10 teachers at this school. There are many more schools and nurseries in Nkhata-Bay, even though it is a small town. Can you then imagien how many kids they produce here!

This is the classroom I teach in and this is Mr Daniel Nkhoma, the class teacher for grade 7. When I teach English he teachers math to the other half.  He is a very lovely and friendly person. He made the naught kids dig a 1m deep hole the other day as punishment for fighting! :) Better than spanking right!

My student are showing me some singing and dancing. These are some of the 7th grade boys.

Here are some of the 7th grade girls singing for me :) They are all around 12-13 years old. Moureen in the middle with the vest is sort of the class president and a very smart girl as well.

One of the students at school made this beautiful camera out of mud!

Here I am at Mayoka Lodge (where I live) marking the English exam I had with my students. It took me a week to correct 70 papers! Not sure if I would want to be a full time teacher...
This is Mayoka Village Lodge, where I stay. A beautiful, beautiful place! Owned and run by a South-African/English couple and they have around 40 Malawian employees.
This is the view from the restaurant at Mayoka. On the other side of the bay is Nkhata Bay city centre, a 20 minute walk away. Some times we take the boat over.
Here I am with some of the Mayoka kitchen staff. They made good pizza last night!
Another view from Mayoka. Pretty nice or what?! I love swimming in the lake and read a book on the cliffs. You can see the city center on the other side.
The dorm I am staying in at Mayoka.Sometimes I get to have it to myself, sometimes it is full with 7 other people sleeping there.
On a boat trip on the lake :) Love it!
Walking to town. They say that there are crocodiles in the grass down by the lake to the left. So far I have not seen one, thank God!

On my walk to town. Farming fields. Here they grow cassava, potatoes, tomatoes, corn, onions, garlic, etc. Now it is even greener as it has been raining.
My friend Gift carrying a full case of Coca-Cola on her head. Can you imagine how heavy that is??? I was soo impressed I had to take a picture of her. Girt works at Mayoka as a waitress.

So this was a glimpse of my life in Nkhata Bay. I can only say that I have a good life! Africa's best probably! It is a beautiful town and a beautiful place with friendly people. So if you want to visit me "you are most welcome" as the Malawians say!

Muli Banji! 

No comments:

Post a Comment