Wednesday, January 4, 2012

2012

Here we go again, another new year!

Time truly flies by when you have fun and 2011 went by like a speeding car. But I must say I enjoyed it a lot and I hope 2012 will be just as good :) Life is full of surprises and don't hesitate, just go for it!

2012 started with a heavy rain storm on new years eve but that did not stop the people from dancing and celebrating the new year at the local Kaya Papaya bar. We danced to the best African music like "sour sour" and I got a chance to see everybody drunk as I do not drink anymore these days. I have banned alcohol all together since some time ago. And I like it like this. Especially here in Malawi, it is nice to be sober as everybody else is drunk almost all the time. Of course the backpackers will always party but the locals take the price. You can see them in the bar from early morning to late at night drinking away their savings. Of course not all Malawians behave like this but the majority does. I find it very sad as instead of drinking up all their money they should buy food for their six children. There is also not one person over 25 that does not have a child. Married or not, you will have one child or more. But let's not talked about the bad stuff in Malawi as I could go on forever about their mentality, having three wives, hiv, cheating, drinking, etc etc. Most of these problems are cultural and the only way out is knowledge and what is accepted in society. But also who says that this is the wrong way? Maybe there is no right and wrong. Things just are.

As for me, things are back to normal. I am back in school teaching English for grade 7. However, my three month period is almost over and I will only be two more weeks in school before it is time for me to start my travels.

It was nice seeing the familiar faces in class again and they are all good children. Some have more energy to learn than others. Today, we went through chapter 8 - a visit to the airport - and there are always about ten children that are eager to stand up and read out load. I love to teach these kids as it is so easy. The other 30 or so is another story as they seem to lack motivation to study. But when I play 'Simon says' with them, they are all 100% into it. :) And that was what I did yesterday and they absolutely loved it. I hope these kids will all see the value in being educated, going to school and of course learn how to speak English fluently. :)

I am getting excited to start my travels as well and explore Tanzania and Zambia. Mozambique is also on my list but not sure yet if I have enough time to go there. And then there is Cape Town in South Africa that I would love to visit too. Ah, so many countries!

Until next , so long!

No comments:

Post a Comment