Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Zanzi paradise!

What can I say??? Karibu!

I absolutely LOVE it!!

Nungwi beach, north of Zanibar is an amazing place. Soooo beautiful and relaxing. It has beautiful long white sandy beaches, turquoise water, palm trees and coconuts, goooood fresh seafood, the best reggae vibes, the tastiest fruit juices and plenty of sun. What else can you ask for??? You can even go to the beach at sunset and watch all the fit locals running around playing football half naked. I mean, does it get any better than that? Maybe in heaven... Hahahahaha... It is just so beautiful here! 

When there is low tide you can walk for miles on the beach. A 20 minute walk takes you to Kendwa, which has a huge white beach. There are of course plenty of resort and hotels here as well but not huge ugly kinds you can find in Canary islands, Miami and a like. Here they just blend it on the beach.

As for me, I am not staying at any of these posh expensive resort. I am on a lovely budget, which has taken me to one of the most chilled places in Nungwi; Rasta Magologolo's. In Stone town, I randomly met Rachel from the States while ordering a nutella pancake on the lake shore. We started talking and within five minutes she had already given me the directions and the phone number to Rasta Magologolo. She said I had no choice but to stay at his pace as it is just to cool to be missed. And I have to agree. Rasta Village as they also call it, is based up in the village about 10 minutes from the beach and is run by Magologolo and his rasta friends. It is a new place with just five bungalow style rooms and a few tents. The bungalows are nice and I have my own room with shared bath for 15k shillig, which is about $12. They also serve you home made breakfast in the morning. Today I got a good omelet with fresh mango, papaya and banana...mmmm.. .. it seems like I am writing an ad for these people, which I am not...I am just sharing the good things in life. It is a sweet place and some nights we cook dinner together and they play local music for us... all rasta style. 

On my first day here in Nungwi I bumped into Daisy. My sweet sweet friend from the UK that I hung out with in Nkhata-Bay, Malawi for almost one month on and off. She must be the most adorable person on earth. She even tought for one day at my school in Malawi just because she loves children so much. Anyways, I always end up seeing Daisy at the most random places. I knew she had left for Tanzania but I had no idea she would be right here on the same beach as me. So me and Daisy have had a good good time chatting, enjoying good food and talking about the random Masay people you see everywhere. I cannot explain how strange it is to see a Masay person walking on the beach in their traditional kangas (wrap around fabrics) holding their sticks, tall, dark and striking. And they always walk with the white muzungus (tourists) trying to sell them something. It is so random. I need to take a picture of it so you can have a look. They are so striking, tribey and has such a strong presence. They definitely do not belong here on these touristy beaches chatting up muzungus. They are suppose to be in the jungle feeding their tribes and hunting their food.  Ah I am amazed by these Masay people. The are incredible! Specially when you see them playing pool in the bar or shake it on the dance floor. Just so odd! :)

Besides being fascinated by the Masay I have basically just been chilling here. There's been quite a lot of parties, dancing, shisha pipes and so forth. I have met really good people and having a lovely time with them. Especially Theo and Andy from the US.  I have also found this reggae place on the beach with the best beats and delicious fruit juices run by Salomon, a local dude that can speak Norwegian (again so random). The place has a gooooooooood goood vibe. I tell you, my house will have a vibe like this. So I hang out there a lot, enjoying the music, the hammocks, the sun and the beach.

I will upload pics, sooon. It is just so hard to go to an internet place here as it is just so much better to chill on the beach. But I will do it "poli poli" as they say here (slowly slowly).

Asante Sana! (thank you so much)  and all my LOVE!




1 comment: