Monday, January 11, 2010

Languin and Semuc Champay, Guatemala

It has been quite a while since I posted anything, I guess I have been busy enjoying life :)

After climbing volcanoes in Antigua me and my two UK gringos took the bus up to Languin. However, it started to rain and got dark so we never reach the village in time and decided to stay one night in Coban. Really not much to do there except for trying to find a good restaurant. Without any luck we ended up in the Guatemalan version of KFC... Pollo Campero. Oh well had to try it ones.

After a cold nights sleep we took the local colectivo (minibus) to Languin and settles in backpacker's heaven El Ritero. This was an amazing hostel located right next to the river with its own sauna, restaurant, and plenty of bungalows. Of course I had to straight away head for the sauna, which was just fantastic! I loved it. Hadn't been in a sauna since October when I was back home in Finland, and with a cold dip in the river it was just perfect. Ahhhhhhh.....

In the coming days, we went bat watching in dark caves, swimming in the river, enjoying some Guatemalan rum, had some wonderful BBQs, discovered some amazing water caves with candles in our hands, went to the beauuuuutiful Semuc Champay where we were swimming and relaxing in natural pools in the middle of the jungle while listning to the monkeys howling like crazy. My friends did the big jump (10m) from a cliff, while I decided to just watch.

I must say Languin and Semuc Champay was one of the best stops so far in Guatemala. I could have stayed there easily for 1 week...

Bless!

1 comment:

  1. I was at Semuc Champey a week after you - have to agree, it's a wonderful place! Stayed at Hostal El Portal, right next to the entrance to the pools. Two nights was nowhere long enough to spend at this unspoilt place. The ride from Languin in the back of a pick-up made you know you were on the way to somewhere special! Want to go back.

    Nigel, England

    ReplyDelete