Tuesday, March 16, 2010

paradise in Cauhita and partying in Puerto Viejo

After enjoying the cool breeze in Monteverde for 5 days I decided to head down to the capital of San Jose. However, after sweating in the bus for 4 hours I decided to not get off at San Jose but to continue down to the east coast of Cost Rica. What would I have done in San jose anyways... it is just another big hot city... usually not so fun in comparison to the Caribbean coast!

I ended up getting of in Cauhita, this little Caribbean rastaman town on the south east coast of Costa Rica. And for the first time on my whooooole trip, I took a room for myself...no dorm but my own private room! This is luxury for a backpacker as I have so far always shared with 1 or more people. So nice, I truly enjoyed it :)

In Cauhita I explored the big national reservation forest that goes along the long white beach for 7km or so. This was truly a beautiful place and as I was walking along the trail by the beach I managed to see monkeys up in the tree tops, raccoon looking for food on the ground and slots snoozing away all curled up in the trees. I also spotted beautiful big blue butterflies, hummingbirds (kolibris), a huge gray iguana, millions of leaf-carrying ants and dozens of lizards and geckos that I almost stepped on.

After a 2km walk I found this most amazing spot on the beach with post card perfect palmtrees hanging down over the turquoise water.... I spent the whole day there lazing in the shallow water reading my book and enjoying the beauty. Ahhhhhh... which I could bottle it all up and take it home with me.

However, it was time to move on and now I have made it to Puerto Viejo de Tamarindo, my last stop in Costa Rica before heading to Panama. This beach place is only 1/2h away from Cauhita and is known to be a party town... so I am all eager to see what kind of rum they offer here!

I am staying in this pretty place called Pagalu hostel http://pagalu.com/index.html One of the nicest hostels I have been in! Thanks Dorien for recommending it!

No comments:

Post a Comment