Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Tikal, Guatemala

After a lot of rum, hanging with Canadians and learning how to speak Garifuna creol in Belize it was time to get back to reality and do some serious backpacking. From Placencia I took a bus to Flores in Guatemala to check out the Tikal Maya ruins.

Stayed at Hostel Dona Gayo and hooked up with some people to go to the ruins with. Set in the middle of the jungle in Guatemala, these ruins where impressive. We managed to climb up on three temples, the highest being 63 m. Was a bit scary to go down I have to say as it was so damn steep. Luckily it didnt rain, otherwise I would probably be dead by now as I would have slipped and dumped right down to the ground.

The view from the highest temple was just amazing, so beautiful. Taller than the highest trees you had the view of the horizon, the jungle and the random tall temples you could get a glimpse of. Really beautiful and so peaceful. We also managed to spot the odd animals and a monkey swinging in the trees. I will upload some pics soon.

They also had some sort of a Maya festival at Tikal on the same day so there was a lot of people meditation and chanting at the temples. Good vibes I have to say. I tried to meditate a bit as well for a while. I would have loved to stay and do some yoga there. Zeli would have loved this!

Spent 5 hours at the ruins and slept like a baby that night.

No comments:

Post a Comment