Monday, May 31, 2010

Welcome to Miami...

There are so many beaches here, I get all confused... South Beach, Miami Beach, North Beach, Nikki Beach.. to me all of Miami is one big beach :)

I have had a really great time in Miami so far and I have done so many things already that it feels like I have been here for weeks. However, I am still acclimatising to the Western world, like to actually flush down the paper in the toilet. Don't ask, but this is a hard thing for my brain to pick up on after separating the paper for the last 6 months in Latin America. (It is probably more environmental friendly to separate anyways... so why do we flush it down?)

Anyways, back to my story and Miami.

After my short flight from Colombia to Fort Lauderdale I took the train downtown to meet up with my last minute Couchurfing host Mike at his place. Mike took me on even though I send him a request 1 or 2 days before my arrival :) I ended up having a great time with Mike and a couple of other couchsurfers that night by eating pizza (of course I am in the States, I have to have pizza) during a heavy rainfall and then drumming in the Full Moon on the beach with some 200 other people. Truly fun until the cops came and broke up the good vibes. But all good! Peace and harmony.... :)

After staying with Mike for one night I moved to another couchsurfer's place, Rochelle, which happened to be a really good friend to Mike, hence we all ended up spending a lot of time to together all weekend. Rochelle, took me out to Calle Ocho in Little Havana for a CS dinner on Friday and the night ended with dancing reaggeton and salsa on the streets. :) The next day, the Miami CS group had arranged a big BBQ on the beach and we all met up again and enjoyed some really really goood fooood. It was so good I didnt have to eat for 2 days......(Wow, I love BBQs, especially when you can take a dip in the Caribbean Ocean while the ribs are BBQing.) We had a really nice day (again!).

Yesterday, we again met up with a couple of CSers and went to the famous Nikki Beach to dance in the sand and enjoy some drinks in the hot sun. This was again a really fun day and we ended up playing adult Bingo at The Standard hotel and swimming in the pool and chilling in their jacuzzi until 2am!! I just love night swims :)) and we slept like babies when we got home.

Mike and Rochelle has been really good hosts and showed me some real Miami hospitality and taken really good care of me. Today, I am about to embark another Couchsurfer's couch here in Miami as I am moving place and staying with Earl for a couple of days until I am heading for Key West, the very southern tip of Florida.

Life is good! :)

(This Is Rochelle and Mike in the bathtub at The Standard hotel and Spa)

1 comment: